The sangria has a reputation worldwide for being one of the healthiest alcoholic beverages in existence. This is because of its delicate balance of fruits, wine and spirits which gives it a unique range of flavours.
The watermelon sangria takes this a step further via the watermelon which has vitamins A, B6 and C, lycopene and antioxidant content.
Spoil yourself with this beverage that is perfect for relaxation after a long sunny day.
*Recipe serves 10 people
• 1 large watermelon
• 1 750-ml bottle white wine
• 2 cups white rum
• 1 cup soda water
• 1/3 cup lime juice (from about 6 limes)
• 2 limes, thinly sliced
• 2 cups assorted fresh or frozen fruit, such as pineapple, blueberries, and strawberries
1. Slice off the top third of the watermelon lengthwise (save for later use) and score fruit with a knife.
2. Using a large spoon or ice cream scoop, scoop out watermelon and transfer to a blender.
3. Blend watermelon until smooth. (If desired, strain seeds.)
4. Add white wine, rum, soda water, and lime juice and stir until combined, then add limes and fruit.
5. Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours, then serve.