Mboho Mkparawa Ibibio, the foremost socio cultural organization in Nigeria held its 40th General Assembly on July 9, 2016 at its International Secretariat Complex/Community Centre, Udo Udoma Avenue, Uyo.
The General Assembly was presided over by the International President and attended by all International officers, some founding members, some Past Presidents and over 2000 members from chapters around the world.
At the end of the proceedings, the General Assembly resolved as follows:
(1) That the federal Government should be commended for providing for the reconstruction of Calabar – Itu – Aba Road and the Lagos – Calabar Rail Project in the 2016 Budget but urged that the funds be released for the take off of the project to reduce the suffering of commuters.
(2) That the Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company should be compelled to issue pre–paid meters to consumers in the state to reduce arbitrary electricity tariff.
(3) That the Nigerian Police Force and other security agencies should beef up security in the state to reduce challenges faced by residents in the face of activities of armed robbers, kidnappers, keke operators and other hoodlums in the state.
(4) That the state government should urgently recruit professional teachers to fill vacancies created by hundreds of those who have retired from service and reduce work load for serving teachers, particularly in the rural areas.
(5) That the Ministry of Education should take steps to ensure that all children of school age are not used to hawk during school hours in view of the subsisting free and compulsory education programme of the state government.
(6) That the Niger Delta Avengers and other militant groups in the Niger Delta should embrace peace and shield their swords in the interest of the Nation generally and the Region in particular.
(7) The Assembly commends the Executive, the Legislative and the Judiciary arms of government in the State for the peaceful way the administration of the State has been handled so far, and called for greater cooperation in the years ahead for the overall wellbeing of the State.
(8) The Assembly felicitates the State Governor, Mr. Udom Emmanuel on his one year in office and applauds him on the significant steps taken so far to diversify the State’s economy through industrialization and other life touching projects commissioned during the recent first anniversary celebration of the administration, and called on government to step up empowerment programmes to ameliorate the suffering of the masses.
(9) The General Assembly felicitates the State Governor, Mr. Udom Emmanuel on his 50th birthday Anniversary and prayed for God’s protection and divine guidance for the Governor in the years ahead.
(10) That Saturday 6th August, 2016, which is the grand finale of the MBOHO’s 29th Founders’ Day Anniversary be set aside for a grand reception for the State Governor, Mr. Udom Emmanuel as a distinguished Ibibio son, in view of his spectacular performance in office and his enduring contributions to the MBOHO, Ibibio Nation and Akwa Ibom State in general.
Akparawa (Elder) Monday Etokakpan, JP, FCIL Akparawa James Edet, NPOM
International President Secretary General